The Honourable Dr. Phillip Machuki Nyanumba, PhD was born in Bomachoge Borabu Sub-County of Kisii County in 1967. He became the Third Speaker of the Kisii County Assembly, after his election at the First Sitting of the Third Assembly in September 2022.
Hon. Dr. Nyanumba, a Certified Public Accountant, has a range of experience in the public sector, having served in various capacities in the National Government and Devolved Units.
Until his retirement in February 2022 to get into politics, Hon. Nyanumba was the Director of Finance and Planning in the County Government of Nyamira. Prior to that, he served a Senior Accountant at the City Council of Nairobi.
The Speaker who unsuccessfully vied for Member of Parliament in Bomachoge Borabu in August 2022 general election, holds a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) in Business Administration from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. He holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of Nairobi and Bachelor of the same from Kenya Methodist University.
Professionally, Dr. Nyanumba is a Certified Public Account CPA (K) and a Certified Secretaries CS (K).
His roles in the County Assembly include:
- Controlling the proceedings in the County Assembly and giving direction to County Assembly committees.
- Disciplining members of County Assembly in case of any misconduct in the county assembly.
- Giving members of County Assembly the chance to contribute towards house debate where he ensures that the minorities are given a fair hearing before the will of the majority prevails.
- Issuing orders and making rules for the regulation of visitors to the County Assembly precincts and represent County Assembly in its relation with other County Assemblies.
- Chairing County Assembly sittings and maintain the attendance register.
- Chairing the County Assembly Service Board (CASB).